Yamaha SR500 & SR400 Forum

GL Performance Network
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: engine pictures?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:52 pm 
Offline
Full Member

Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:29 pm
Posts: 125
Location: sweden
Is there any one that have some pictures like these of the xt/tt/sr topend?
Image
or some sketchplans or something?
I whant to try to make my own raised ports in the future and need to plan ahead a bit.
do any one have pictures/thought of how the combustinchamber should be welded upp and then grinded for max hk/nm?

pictures of ported heads?

or we can say that i whant to se pictures of any sort of engine modification=)

_________________
Speling and me is like oil and water


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: engine pictures?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:49 pm 
Offline
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:00 am
Posts: 2012
Location: Robertsbridge UK
nice diesection, but not of a sr head, the guide angle is too steep and theres, a boring for a bucket type cam follower. The SR head is pretty good, you need to be a real pro to improve on it. IE its too easy to make it worse. 2 valvers and a squarish bore and stroke need careful cam work and are more senitive to this then 'porting'. But my experience starts and stops with road donks. More specialised stuff needs hard track and dyno time.

_________________
www.rexs-speedshop.com
Classic Performance
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: engine pictures?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:51 am 
Offline
Full Member

Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:29 pm
Posts: 125
Location: sweden
aero wrote:
nice diesection, but not of a sr head, the guide angle is too steep and theres, a boring for a bucket type cam follower. The SR head is pretty good, you need to be a real pro to improve on it. IE its too easy to make it worse. 2 valvers and a squarish bore and stroke need careful cam work and are more senitive to this then 'porting'. But my experience starts and stops with road donks. More specialised stuff needs hard track and dyno time.



hehe thats from an old volvo engine. couldn't find the words for what i whanted to se ;)
Do any one now how much the diffrent xt/sr/tt heads are flowing from stock? and max flow of a ported head?
Yeah a dyno and a flowbench is planed in the future..
How hard is it to make your own cam?
My friend are using many diffrent cnc machines in his school, could we make a sketchplan and then program the cnc and out comes a new cam? or do we ned an camgrinder?
Is there any set of lower firstgear and higher lastgear out there? if not, is there any market for such product?

oh and pics pics pics we whant to se pics of enigine mods :D 8-)

_________________
Speling and me is like oil and water


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: engine pictures?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:08 pm 
Offline
Full Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:41 am
Posts: 221
Location: Sweden
cykelfreak wrote:

hehe thats from an old volvo engine. couldn't find the words for what i whanted to se ;)
Do any one now how much the diffrent xt/sr/tt heads are flowing from stock? and max flow of a ported head?
Yeah a dyno and a flowbench is planed in the future..
How hard is it to make your own cam?
My friend are using many diffrent cnc machines in his school, could we make a sketchplan and then program the cnc and out comes a new cam? or do we ned an camgrinder?
Is there any set of lower firstgear and higher lastgear out there? if not, is there any market for such product?

oh and pics pics pics we whant to se pics of enigine mods :D 8-)


Me and my friend was also thinking about making our own camshafts in the cnc. I guess youre from sweden? well i am ;) studying at chalmers univversity

_________________
Thumping around


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: engine pictures?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:36 pm 
Offline
Junior Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:35 pm
Posts: 28
Location: black forest
Well of corse someone did it.

Here some pics:

Image

Image

Image

Image

_________________
digging dirt is more fun than polishing chrome


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: engine pictures?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:21 am 
Offline
Full Member

Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:59 pm
Posts: 243
Location: Bathurst, NSW Australia
Yes, if I was more computer savvy I could upload photo's of the head I have sawed in half, beware of the exhaust port on the guide hump near the end [ex pipe side] as it is very thin here, like Aero said its virtually all in the cam. good on you guy's, go for it. ;)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: engine pictures?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:24 am 
Offline
Full Member

Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:59 pm
Posts: 243
Location: Bathurst, NSW Australia
Oh, forgot to mention, TD3 and TR3 and yz/it 400 gears fit on the shafts for different ratio changes!!!!woops!! :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: engine pictures?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:04 am 
Offline
Esteemed SR Elder
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:56 pm
Posts: 2557
Location: Arden, NC. USA
caferacercarl wrote:
Oh, forgot to mention, TD3 and TR3 and yz/it 400 gears fit on the shafts for different ratio changes!!!!woops!! :lol:


Could this be interpreted to include early TZ, R5 & RD models as well?

Just a little aside.....I had TR3 pipes on my old RD350 simply because they dynoed better than DG or Bassani pipes. Wish I had a set of Toomey pipes at the time to dyno and compare.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: engine pictures?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:30 am 
Offline
Full Member

Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:29 pm
Posts: 125
Location: sweden
skruven wrote:
cykelfreak wrote:
My friend are using many diffrent cnc machines in his school, could we make a sketchplan and then program the cnc and out comes a new cam? or do we ned an camgrinder?
Is there any set of lower firstgear and higher lastgear out there? if not, is there any market for such product?

oh and pics pics pics we whant to se pics of enigine mods :D 8-)


Me and my friend was also thinking about making our own camshafts in the cnc. I guess youre from sweden? well i am ;) studying at chalmers univversity


jupps from motala.. you chalmers guys :roll: always doing the crasy stuff ;)
for what engine are you going to make the cam?
if it is an sr can i have yours sketchplan? :mrgreen: i have come to the conclusion that i suck at cad/cam :oops:

_________________
Speling and me is like oil and water


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: engine pictures?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:48 am 
Offline
Full Member

Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:29 pm
Posts: 125
Location: sweden
sratte wrote:
Well of corse someone did it.

Here some pics:

[img]pictures


thanks :D you didn't cut it in like 10mm slices?

hm is there air pockets in the head? if so it sucks i thought that it was all alu :(

any one that knows how much the head flows from factory?

_________________
Speling and me is like oil and water


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
SR 500 forum

Promote Your Page Too VigLink badge