Yamaha SR500 & SR400 Forum

GL Performance Network
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: TT100s, any good????
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:35 pm 

hi

has anyone ever used `TT100` tyres on their sr500?

im leaning towards BT45s but i love the retro look of the TTs and they were always decent tyres in the olden days.

cheers
pc

Post subject: Re: TT100s, any good????
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:10 am 
Global Mod
Global Mod

BT45s are the go...I understand that the late versions of the TT100 are made using a fairly good compound, but other than that I'd be going to the Bridgestones.

SR ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:50 am 
Esteemed SR Elder

I have fitted and ridden on DUNLOP TT100's (AKA K81's) almost exclusivly since I bought my first SR back in 1980. I tried PIRELLI Phantoms and a few other "performance tyres" in the 1980's but always went back too the DUNLOPS as being the best compromise between wear, grip and predictability . They don't give as good a grip as some of the newer tyres such as the BT45 Bridgstones, but they wear well and give more than enough grip for most riding situations that you will subject a SR500 too. Having said that they will let go and slid if you push them too hard, but if you are riding that hard you should give up the SR and buy a modern sports bike. When they do let go they are quite predictable. and I have had the SR in controlled two wheel slides on the Old Pacific Hwy north of Sydney years ago that really freaked out the guy who was following me.

CJ

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:56 am 

colinjay wrote:
I have had the SR in controlled two wheel slides on the Old Pacific Hwy north of Sydney years ago that really freaked out the guy who was following me.

CJ

thanks for that, looks like its the BT45s for me, lol.

seriously, im not a hard rider, so will probably be ok with any tyres.

will let you know what i choose when i know myself!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:05 am 
Esteemed SR Elder

PC,

You have to be pushing it fairly well to gethe TT100/K81 DUNLOP to slide or be on a poor/slippery surface. The key thing with these tyres are that when they do let go and start to slide, the whole transition from grip to slip is predictable. You can feel the tyre starting to get "squigglie" as you push harder through the turns and if you go a bit harder they will let go fairly "slowly". I have ridden on some tyres that seemed to go from full grip to absolutly no grip instantly, and they are the tyres that hurt, as you have to be real quick to catch the slide, and quite often when you do catch it, you end up going over the high side. With the low power output of the SR and the smooth easy way it delivers the power, it is quite easy to control a SR when it starts to slide, no matter what tyres are fitted.

Your title block doesn't give a location, but if you havn't spend time around the Sydney (NSW) area you wouldn't understand what type of road the Old Pacific Hwy just North of Sydney is. There would be a few members on the forum who have ridden it who could vouch for what a great scratchers road it is/used too be, but one that had to be teated with a bit of respect due the very poor surface condition (at least in the early to mid 1990's and I haven't been on it since). When they put through the "new " Pacific Hwy, the old road was left fairly well as it was and maintenance on the road just about ceased to be carried out. It remained a popular road, and the surface was very slick and slipper, especially if there was light rain, as there was on the day that I was sliding around on the old SR. The rear wheel would let go first, always in a predicable manner into a easliy controled slide. When I pushed a bit harder the front wheel would do the same, moments after the rear started to slide. None of this sliding around was at high speeds like the MotoGP boy do it, I am talking about speed around 40 - 50 kph, and you have to remember the SR has a dirt bike heritige and is easy to slide, even with clip ons.

CJ

CJ

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:56 am 

hi

interesting post colin, i would prefer the TT100 in the looks department but im pretty sure the BT45s will give more grip, so its really just down to choice and as im not a hard rider i might just go for the dunlops, plus i presume there would be a gain in milage from the dunlops.
ps
i thought it said where i am from on the left of the page.
bolton, lancashire, uk just in case it doesnt.

cheers
pc

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:33 pm 
Esteemed SR Elder

If I remember correctly (it's been a long time since I was on some K81's), They are a rather triangulated tire in their profile. Personally, I like this. It makes the bike fall into turns easier and once there, quite stable.

I agree that that are very forgiving when they do decide to lose traction. I remember my first experience getting the rear tire to break loose on a street bike was with K81's. Going into a turn pretty hot and unloaded the rear tire enough though hard braking to get it to step out upon leaning over. It caught me by surprise at first but was very controllable.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:05 am 

hi

i have ordered the BT45s, im taking the front wheel in tomorrow and the tyres should be in on monday, just need to finish the front wheel and then drop that off at the tyre shop.
i have asked for a 100/90 - 19 up front and a 120/90 - 18 out back, i take it these sizes are about right????

cheers
pc

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:50 pm 
Esteemed SR Elder

100/90 and 120/90 are the sizes of the BT45 that most people fit to SR, so you are on the money with the size.

Soloracer is correct, the Dunlops do have a slightly triangular profile when mounted on the correct sized rim, put them on to to wide a rim and the "round over". Back in the late 60's when the TT100/K81's were designed, race tyres were going through massive design changes and "racing triangles" were one of the styles of tyres developed. They were designed for exactly what soloracer said, they give a rapid drop into the turn and had a large footprint when layed over. They worked very well on the lightweight british single that were about in 500cc GP racing and the other smaller bikes. As time progressed and the Jpanese multi cylinder two strokes took over GP racing, the triangle fell out of favor as the didn't have a large enough footprint/contact area when the bikes were upright to put the increased amount of power to the ground. The K81 were disigned for British 650 twins, especially the 650 Triumph, and as a K81 shod Triumph was the first production bike to lap the IOM TT course at 100mph Dunlop gave them the TT100 designation.

CJ

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]