Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Post subject: DIY springer front ends???
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:24 pm 
Esteemed SR Elder

I've searched google, youtube, been down the library and even squinted at tiny photos and it seems as thought springer fronts are a black art and noone's giving away secrets. I have a set of rough plans but need some pointers. Has anyone built their own?
Firstly, buying a springer front and converting it to fit is out of the question because a) i don't have the funds b) the mark up on the "custom" springer forks is probably close to 500% c) i'd just rather build it myself.
I'm planning on using an existing set of triple trees with the pivot cut back to fit the main tubes, that bit's easy enough..... but.... (here come the question marks)
Where would be a good place to start for springs (preferably an inexpensive option)? Ideas for shock(s) to be mounted instead of springs? I saw some rearsets bushed with skateboard bearings on another forum, i think they'd work well for the springer pivots but has anyone any better ideas? Any other wacky and wonderful ideas? And last of all, any useful links or photos, exploded diagrams or general manufacturing descriptions?

Ps: No i'm not doing this to an SR, but that said, wouldn't it look just dandy! Maybe i should....

Post subject: Re: DIY springer front ends???
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:26 am 
Global Mod
Global Mod

Hallo

http://www.thechopperunderground.com

this might help

regards sjef

Post Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:40 am 
Esteemed SR Elder

Thanks sjef, i'll check that out.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:41 am 
Global Mod
Global Mod

Staffy,

ever thought about inverted springers?

regards sjef

Post Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:08 pm 
Esteemed SR Elder

I can't say i've even heard of them......

Post Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:46 pm 
Global Mod
Global Mod

staffy,

look here, under wicked springers,

http://www.meanstreetproducts.com.au/.../%20test/index.swf

regards sjef

Post Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:25 pm 
Esteemed SR Elder

Staffy, is this what you are looking for?

This is my 1972 Honda SL125, fitted with a DIY springer front end made by my mate Wilso (with a bit of help from me) back in the 80's. It was originally made to go onto a raked Honda CT125 AG bike frame that he was building into a Lowrider. I ended up with it and my young brother fitted it into the SL125 to ride in a local Harley club event as a bit of a stir. The handling could only be described as interesting and it gave a whole new meaning to the term "flexiflier".

The lower links and front wheel are from a Honda C100 Cub (50cc stepthru), the shockie is off of a Honda, unknown model, but seamed to do a good job.

For the pivot points on the lower links, I would sugest a simple broze bush over a ball bearing as bush set up will be more compact and have a better load carrying capacity than a small ball bearing. Leading link forks are normally built with bushes for this reason.

One thing that you would really need to consider if you are going to make your own front end, is the legality of them. By law in SA, if you fit an alternate front end, i.e. leading link (for a sidecar) or springers they need to be certified by a qualified/licenced mechanical engineer. You can get around this by registering the bike with the std front end and then fitting the springer front end after you have the bike on the road, but you can still get done and have your rego cancelled + fined if the police or Transport SA pull you over to inspect the bike.

CJ

Post Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:29 am 
Esteemed SR Elder

colinjay wrote:
One thing that you would really need to consider if you are going to make your own front end, is the legality of them. By law in SA, if you fit an alternate front end, i.e. leading link (for a sidecar) or springers they need to be certified by a qualified/licenced mechanical engineer. You can get around this by registering the bike with the std front end and then fitting the springer front end after you have the bike on the road, but you can still get done and have your rego cancelled + fined if the police or Transport SA pull you over to inspect the bike.

CJ

Well colin, that's me out. I'm not gonna go through the headaches of building something only to have it knocked back by well meaning pen pushers with red tape. If i find on that can be modified to suit it may be worth it but otherwise, no dice.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:51 am 

The most bizarre front end I ever saw was in a 70's chopper mag. No way anyone would pass this as legal.

Imagine replacing your fork tubes and legs with a couple long leaf springs. Yep, that's it... just long flat leaf springs running from the triple trees down to the front axle. Slightly bowed with the weight of the bike, changes rake and trail as the "suspension" operates, looks like a youtube video waiting to happen.

According to the article, everyone who tried it would mount with trepidation and gingerly idle off around the corner while visibly shaking in their boots. 15 minutes later they would come skidding back around the corner, bouncing and grinning and yelling "Hey, this thing really works!"

Beyond belief, I say. But cool.

miker

Post Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:24 pm 
Esteemed SR Elder

miker wrote:
The most bizarre front end I ever saw was in a 70's chopper mag. No way anyone would pass this as legal.

Imagine replacing your fork tubes and legs with a couple long leaf springs. Yep, that's it... just long flat leaf springs running from the triple trees down to the front axle. Slightly bowed with the weight of the bike, changes rake and trail as the "suspension" operates, looks like a youtube video waiting to happen.

According to the article, everyone who tried it would mount with trepidation and gingerly idle off around the corner while visibly shaking in their boots. 15 minutes later they would come skidding back around the corner, bouncing and grinning and yelling "Hey, this thing really works!"

Beyond belief, I say. But cool.

miker

You don't have an pics of this thing do you?

I'm starting to think a girder fork front might be a more successful build as it has less moving parts (well not really) and relies on one shock instead of four springs. It could also be easily adapted to mate with stock triple trees. Still can't find much other that plans for them however.