Yamaha SR500 & SR400 Forum

GL Performance Network
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:07 am 
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

Awesome, thanks Solo! :D

From just an aesthetic point of view, any idea what the size of these appear to be?

I dunno if that's overkill, but I reckon it looks mean! :twisted:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:37 am 
Esteemed SR Elder

Looks like 150 rear and a 120 front. Yea....It looks mean but is really killing power that could be put to use.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:28 am 
Esteemed SR Elder

I've fitted 18" Gixxa wheels with 110/80-18 and 150/70-18 Bridgestone radial tyres to my XT.
Surprisingly, the handling didn't suffer very much though these wheels were 50% heavier than
the ones I normally use (magnesium wheels with tubeless Dunlop KRs). But the problem with
the Bridgestones was some very bad chattering I couldn't cure though I tried a lot of different
set ups and tyre pressures. This won't be a problem on public roads, but for those of you who
go racing be aware that stiff radial tyres will probably cause troubles...

Best regards
Sven

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 11:44 am 

The bike pictured above appears to have Bridgestone battlax bt090-g tires, which only seem to come in 17-110 front and 17-140 rear. They were 'designed for the wr250x' so says bike bandit. http://www.bikebandit.com/bridgestone-battlax-bt090-g-motorcycle-tire

I know this thread is old, but it's something I've always been curious about. I understand not wanting to run tires too big for waste of hp and weight, but it doesn't seem like there are many options out there for 17" rear tires under 150!

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 2:02 pm 
Esteemed SR Elder

Last time I checked, BridgeStone made the BT45 in a 130/70-17. I think this was the OEM tire for the Kawasaki EX500.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 3:06 pm 

yea, I was going to mention (should have) that I was looking at radial tires. I did read sven's post about radial tires maybe being to stiff, but then again if you're not racing, would they be a better option for the street?

I guess my question is, are the smaller 17" diameter wheels a performance gain enough to justify doing it, if it's not really going to open up tire choices? I can fit the BT45's right now.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 4:19 pm 
Esteemed SR Elder

Unless you've a pressing need to use ultra-sticky modern radials, just stick a pair of BT45's on your standard rims.

I don't get the whole modern suspension/wheels thing on a classic bike, to me it ruins the proportions.

Max

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 9:07 pm 

Well, I guess it's sort of a 'to each his own' sort of thing. I sort of like the sporting look of the 17's and a bike like that one above with a mix of classic flair and racing poise. If I were to swap to wire wheels, that's both an asthetic choice (I like the look) and hopefully at least somewhat lighter? Using aftermarket alloy rims, I'd hope they come out somewhat lighter. So there's a performance benefit. If I were to go to the trouble of all that, I would probably go for 17" rims given I'd be buying rims anyway cus I'd probably find some shot wheels to swap.

So, I'm just curious how substantial that handling benefit is. It's one thing to do all that mostly for looks if you've got scads of money, and then have the bike feel mostly the same, but if I go to all taht sort of trouble and cost, I generally like to get a good kick in the seat of the pants out of it (in the good way!).

At any rate, I'll burn through a set of tires on the factory set up and think about it for at least a year... I like to do things that way, so I have a good reference when I actually do such a thing!

I just ask alot of questions because I like to learn :D

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 9:41 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm currently advertising for a used Suzuki rolling chassis to rob the wheels and front suspension a la Solo2racr and all else who have made that conversion. It would be well worth the swap from a performance point of view. Already have the trick rear swingarm. I also think the more modern rims look just fine on our chassis.

I have made a similar conversion on my V Max. Rest assured the improvement to the bike is tenfold! Mind you I have improved the front and rear suspension as well.

Attachments:
File comment: Yamaha V Max. Ricor Intiminators in front forks, Ohlins rear shocks and 17" Yamaha sportbike wheels shod with radial tires.
vmaxohlins.jpg
vmaxohlins.jpg [ 87.39 KiB | Viewed 710 times ]

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 10:50 pm 
Esteemed SR Elder

Yes...I love the 17" wheels. But for me, it's hard to say just how much they added to the "flickability". When I did those wheels, I also lengthened the wheelbase to 56" (at it's shortest) as well as tucked the steering angle in to 25.5 degrees. The GSXF triple clamps have an offset of 35mm and it has a rake of 4.5".

All this, in my opinion, makes the stock setup feel VERY wanting. I have said it only once before because I don't like to "toot my own horn" but, this setup on my SR makes it the BEST handling bike I have ever ridden. And after working in a bike shop for 5 years, I have ridden quite a few.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next