Yamaha SR500 & SR400 Forum

GL Performance Network
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:02 pm 

I've decided to mount clip ons to the SR, and thought I'd save myself some hassle by buying Woodcraft clip ons since the clamp is 2 pieces and would negate having to drop the forks out of the triple tree. However, it looks like I am going to have to relocate the headlight lower down with new brackets as well as relocate the turn signals (I think) in addition to installing a steering stop.

Are the switches from the factory equipped with an indexing pin that I will have to grind off or drill a hole in to the clip ons? I had a GS500E that I installed drag bars on and the indexing pin on the controls prevent me from doing a direct swap without grinding them off or drilling a hole.

thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:56 am 

I had to remove my handlebars and everything mounted to the handlebars when I installed Progressive fork springs, and didn't see any locator pins.

"Mulder, toads just fell from the sky."
"Guess their parachutes didn't open."

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:31 pm 
Esteemed SR Elder

Im not sure, but I think the locating pins are for the robotics in the factory; we never used to have them. My choice would be to file/Dremel the pins off rather than try to locate and drill holes in the bars. That will allow any adjustment tweak thereafter.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:36 pm 

There are no locator pins on the new bikes, based on the huge statistical sample of Jaymo and me...beats me why anyone would want to weaken a perfectly good set of bars by drilling a hole in them anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:52 pm 

I figured I'd grid them off rather than drill a hole in new bars....

Are there domestic sources for the headlight bracket and steering stop or am I going to have to order from overseas? It seems like Thailand and Japan are the go-to places for the aftermarket.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:20 pm 

You can order the headlight bracket from any motorcycle dealership that uses Western Powersports. The part # is 61-1440 and msrp is only $15. Don't forget a steering stop to keep the bars from smashing the tank or your fingers into the tank. I could not source one of these stateside and ended up ordering it from motolanna.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]