Yamaha SR500 & SR400 Forum

GL Performance Network
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:32 pm 

Yeah, that's one of the reasons I made it a point to state that if anyone wants the straight and easy conversion, they will need the 80-81 wheels, which can be used with tubeless tires.

So, if anyone wants discs, front and rear, you've been warned about the need for tubes.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:21 pm 
Esteemed SR Elder

I completely missed that. My apologies.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:31 am 

Bob, it's not a problem. It worked out for the best.

I probably should have been more detailed.

Had you not said something, then people may have been wondering, or not thought about it at all.

Now, someone reading through this thread, it may give someone pause when they are out there sourcing wheels for this swap.

All is well.

Brian

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:30 pm 

I really want cast wheels for my SR.
As floppy as the steering is, a bit heavier steering wouldn't bother me.

Wouldn't the larger front wheel/tire combo help eliminate some (or all of the speedo error the 2015 SR has?
If so, it's an upgrade. I get tired of having to ride at an indicated 7 MPH faster than the actual speed limit, just to ride at the speed limit.

More weight down low is a good thing.
More stability, due to increased gyroscopic effect, is also good.

One question, though. With the increased wheel weight (and initial resistance to getting the moving) is the bike more prone to stall when starting from a stop?

Another question. Is the bike harder to wheelie now?
Mine is incredibly easy to wheelie when trying to take off quickly.
I'd rather take off with both wheels on the tarmac, regardless of how cool wheelies are.

"Mulder, toads just fell from the sky."
"Guess their parachutes didn't open."

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:30 pm 
Esteemed SR Elder

1)Front end shouldnt be floppy. Are you judging this by how it 'easily falls sise to side' when you are on the centerstand, sit back on it and the front wheel comes off the ground? If the fork stem is properly adjusted and you still think it is too loose maybe its time to have someone else check it? Or install a steering damper.
2)Not all tires of the same nominal size by different manufacturers are the same over all dia./ circumference and a 'one size larger; ie, if stock is a 100/90x18 go to a 110/90x18 when it needs replacing and the speedo will probably correct by about 5mph. The larger size will also be less prone to 'lead in' the front wheel on a turn. No need to change wheels, just tires.
3)None of my 3 SR500's with mag wheels has been prone to stalling off the line, even geared up.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:48 am 

Beardo wrote:
Couple of problems come to mind about those JP/AUS wheels.

Besides the cost, is the front is still an 18, which is not a pro for me.

Availability. Is there even still a supply of them to be had? At the time I looked, they were sold out.

I got these wheels part of a basket case/project bike for $500. Far less than the cost of those new sets. Plus they came with next to new tires. And I got the rest of a bike!

So, it was worth it for me. You'll have to determine it for yourself.

I emailed Yamaha Oz, despite being sold out they shipped over a set from Japan. About a month? on the slow boat, then in two days I had the wheels. Price was a little cheaper than the list price on Webike Japan, can't remember exactly, I'm a little drunk atm, and this was all earlier in the year.

You get a sprocket carrier, sprocket cush drive rubbers, seals and bearings installed, nuts and bolts, blah blah blah. From memory the 18 front is a little lighter than the old 19 and the rear is much, much, lighter... I just need to get a spacer made up to use it with the Motolanna swing arm. Going to run some Sport Demons on them. Useing them for my SR500H project.

I haven't test built the front end yet, but front wheel should go in no problems...

Edit: Oh and I bought them because I wanted tubeless and my original rear was chewed up.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2