Yamaha SR500 & SR400 Forum

GL Performance Network
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:18 am 

Hello everyone,

My 2015 Yamaha SR400 started to make squeaking noise around the 3,000 miles mark. I thought it was a glazed brake shoes, so I took the wheel apart and sanded the brake shoes and the drum. The squeaking stopped for about a day and started again. I sanded it down 2 more times between cleaning the chain every 400 miles; it keeps happening no matter what. I have no idea what is going on since I've tried really hard not to be too soft on the brakes to prevent glazing the brakes. The squeaking is driving me nuts...

Does anyone know what the issue is? Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:35 pm 
Esteemed SR Elder

Try a little chamfer on the leading edge of each shoe, it may also need some copper grease on the pivot points to ease vibration.

Max

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:56 pm 

MadMax wrote:
Try a little chamfer on the leading edge of each shoe, it may also need some copper grease on the pivot points to ease vibration.

Max

Hello,

Thanks for the reply, I will definitely to chamfer the brakes a little. I also already greased the pivot joints after the 2nd time taking the brakes apart; I've tried to fix it 4 times already >_< I'll also post some pictures of it before I chamfer the brakes if you guys see anything wrong with the drum or brake shoes.

Thanks again and take care.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:06 pm 

My bike has 1200 miles on it and the back brake started squeaking around 1000 miles.
Being a lead technician for a large forklift company, I've noticed that drum brakes have a tendency to squeal.
I'm going to chamfer the ends of my shoes and see if it makes any difference.
Of course, that will have to wait until my parts come in and I can get my bike back on the road.

"Mulder, toads just fell from the sky."
"Guess their parachutes didn't open."

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:30 pm 
Esteemed SR Elder

Cleaning the chain every 400mi.???

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:21 pm 

gcrank1 wrote:
Cleaning the chain every 400mi.???

Hmm, is it 4,000 miles? -Goes to check manual- It actually says every 300 miles (500 km), haha. Maybe that's too frequent, I honestly did 12 chain cleaning so far... Is there a missing zero in the manual or am I crazy?

What's your suggestion? I don't have OCD or anything.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:18 am 
Esteemed SR Elder

Well, I do have some OCD and I dont 'clean my chain' very often or put too much work into it. I guess I wonder just how much work you are putting into it, it is a low maintenance O-Ring chain which seals the inside pins and rollers from grunge and keeps its factory lube in (unlike the old plain chain we used to have).
Mostly I keep tabs on the slack, and I err on the bit to loose side rather than the to the tight side and it doesnt seem to need as frequent adjustments as I used to do. And I adjust only when it is getting too slack, not all the time.
At the same time I visually check the looks of it; if it is looking a bit 'dry' I give it a spray down with my chain lube when back from a ride so it is all warmed up. I also only adjust when it is recently lubed, a dry chain doesnt adjust as well.
If it is looking too grungy I put the bike on the center stand and soak a rag in solvent, hold it against the chain and spin the wheel (spin in the reverse direction so you dont pull rag and fingers into the sprocket!) and let the wet solvent soften and remove the grunge from the sideplates. Dispose of the rag properly, spray lube the chain, go for a ride and be happy.
FWIW, my chains have ended their careers at about the average miles for what they are, sometimes more, and same with my sprockets. Guess it works for me, YMMV.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:53 pm 

I tried everything that I could think of to fix the squeaking but no luck. So I just bought new brake shoes and the problem went away completely. It has been 2 weeks now so everything is good. Sorry for the late update.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:44 am 
Esteemed SR Elder

There really should be an icon-of-honor ( 8-) ) bestowed upon members who return to their problem posts to update them!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:04 pm 

duke b wrote:
There really should be an icon-of-honor ( 8-) ) bestowed upon members who return to their problem posts to update them!

Haha, thanks for the thought. Hopefully someone will find it useful, I guess it was just bad luck that I got bad brake shoes from the start.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]