Yamaha SR500 & SR400 Forum

GL Performance Network
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: new tires.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:13 pm 
Esteemed SR Elder

I was about 70F out today and I had the day off so I took my wheels to the motorcycle store and had them install my new tires.
Shinko 712 tires in 100-90-18 on the front and 120-90-18 on the rear.
Stock sizes are 90-100-18 and 110-90-18, so both tires are bigger then stock.
I wanted bigger tires to give more ground clearance and correct the speedo error.
The front change from 90-100-18 to 100-90-18 is more wide then tall, but I think it adds a bit of height.
Both tires fit fine and did add a good amount of ground clearance, the bike feels taller, even though its only a small change, it felt a bit like a tall dirt bike.
I also put the stock front sprocket back on (19 tooth) since the rer tire is taller and wider.

The test ride was a bit of a wash, the bike felt fine, a bit less responsive because of the bigger heavier tires, but not much of a change.
Speed/power/rpm was a wash as the radar thing on the side of the road was gone and I had no idea what my actual speeds were.
I had the speedo up to 90 mph at about red line.
It might have been 90 mph, stock, the bike would do 95 mph at red line which was about 85 actual mph.

The only downside is the bike leans over a bit more on the sidestand, not a lot, but more then stock.
New tires, so I was not going to drag pegs/exhaust but I am sure i hve a bit more clearance of the exhaust in hard right hand turns.
Even with stiffer fork springs I was often grinding the exhaust.

Post subject: Re: new tires.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:05 pm 
Esteemed SR Elder

I use two carpenters squares held together on the long sides to make a large calipers for things like mounted tire diameters, etc. there is quite a difference between a new/slightly used dia. and a 'down to the min.' dia. No way can you really tell if it isnt mounted and aired on the rim size you will use.
I have that rear Shinko waiting in the wings for the TU come spring. 5350ish on it now and it could get me 5500, or so, as I dont ride in the rain, but it really is due. Sounds like the SR is using a similar tire/compound as OEM.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:42 pm 

Brett: pictures?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:51 pm 
Esteemed SR Elder

No pictures, but the tires look good, just a bit bigger then stock.
I think the stock tires were good, quite sticky I think, The Shinko's are not quite as sticky I think, but they last a long time, are cheap, and come in many sizes.
The shop had a 100-100-18 tire (I think it was) and it was way too tall.
Some sort of Dunlop.

I can not really tell how the new tires are when pushed, the front is new, the rear was a slightly used one I had around.

Extra ground clearance is a win.

Longer lasting is a win.

Speedo error correction ???

Handling, a bit less nimble, but maybe more stable.

Looks, better I think, the front tire fills the fender nicely.

Gearing, better then stock, maybe not quite as nice as the stock tires and the 20 tooth front sprocket, but it depends on how much my speedo is off.
If its very close, 90 mph is easy to get to at red line and it should get to close to 95 before the rev limiter kicks in.

The speedo error really bugged me, and grinding up the exhaust was too easy to do, otherwise I liked the stock setup.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:23 pm 

I generally go with stock sizes. Bigger tires are heavier, increasing unsprung weight. Bigger tires may end up with narrower contact patches. I figure that the manufacturer has engineered tire size way more completely than I myself who might purchase a set of tires a year.

Pick your tires for their wet weather traction, a sudden loss of traction on a wet road is more likely to end in a crash than the minute differences in dry weather traction.

Run what you want for sure.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:27 am 

I had time on my hands, so started looking at tires available in the stock sizes of the SR400: there aren't many.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:44 am 
Esteemed SR Elder

I am not sure there are any in the stock front size for sale in the US.
To get the stock tires, you would need to order them through the dealer, and they are likely to be about $100.00 a tire, and I would need at least 2 rear tires a year, maybe 3.
Running the stock tires is not an option for me.

CraigK wrote:
I had time on my hands, so started looking at tires available in the stock sizes of the SR400: there aren't many.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:45 am 
Esteemed SR Elder

CraigK, a lot of guys have used the Shinkos on the TUs with satisfaction. Based upon the reports on their forum I ordered up 2 rears online and went with the size Brett uses to get a little gear-up effect. I think we ride in a similar fashion and if I had the SR400 I would be doing the Shinko.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:58 pm 
Esteemed SR Elder

Well, I am not sure how I like them yet, I only have 40 miles? on them on one ride.
I liked the stock size on the back of the TU and one up on the front to correct the speedo error, braking performance is also better with more rubber. The tires worked great in the rain, at least they did in a heavy rain.

I did fork springs to get more ground clearance as I was always scraping the exhaust even in easy riding, but that was not enough, so I did the tires.
On the test ride, I did not notice anything BAD happening, I braked really hard, and took turns as fast as I dared with new tires.

I did like the stock tires, but I am not going to buy 3 rear tires every year.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:43 pm 
Esteemed SR Elder

Thanks for verifying that the 100/90 712 front works ok. As posted earlier I had already put a 120/90 712 on the rear over a month ago. IMO handles just as well as the Bridgestone, at least for the riding I do on this bike, and it was just the right bump up in ratio. The front in that "unique" 90/100 size still looks great so I guess I will leave the thing on there for awhile.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next