Yamaha SR500 & SR400 Forum

GL Performance Network
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Fork springs
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:24 am 

What size Allen wrench do I need, to remove the plugs from the tops of the forks?
It looks like a 16mm to me.

"Mulder, toads just fell from the sky."
"Guess their parachutes didn't open."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:46 am 
Esteemed SR Elder

17mm
Bob.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:10 am 
Esteemed SR Elder

I have been told that AutoZone has a lovely 17mm for removing VW drain plugs that works a treat and is only about $4.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:47 am 
Esteemed SR Elder

gcrank1 wrote:
I have been told that AutoZone has a lovely 17mm for removing VW drain plugs that works a treat and is only about $4.

Not to go any more off topic, but AutoZone has really nice 6 point flank drive large size metric sockets with a lifetime guarantee for very reasonable prices, like $6-$8.
Bob.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:15 pm 

Washers on top of the springs will bump up your preload as has been said. Anything from 2mm thick aluminum & up should be sufficient for the load. Just make sure their outside diameter is as close to the inner fork diameter as possible. Your springs will still be linear though, thus the bouncies. You can also stiffen them up a by adding a bit more fork oil. That'll cut down on the free air quantity and increasing damping a tad. The only thing that beats progressive springs is the cash in your pocket from not buying progressive springs though. My 2015 SR rides exactly like my CB360 did & I like it. You can put valve stems on some fork caps and try pressuring at 5 psi intervals to see if it feels nicer (make sure both sides are the same) Only problem is it tends to make your seals leak a bit and stiffness jumps quick with pressure.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:13 pm 

gcrank1 wrote:

That's right in my price range.
As a field service technician (lead tech, now) for Toyota Forklifts, I use everything from 1/4" drive ratchets up to a 3/4" drive impact wrench on a daily basis.
You'd be amazed at how many "cheap" tools I use, and how long they last.
For some tools, I'll only use top of the line. Prybars, air tools, and cordless power tools come to mind.
However, I've been using Autozone 3/8" drive wobble extensions with my Makita 18 volt cordless impact wrench for about 2 years now. I can't kill 'em. I've broken no fewer than 4 impact rated 3/8" drive socket adapters with this cordless. I've broken some other cheap chrome extensions with it, after years and years of use and abuse.
So far, my cheap-junk Autozone tools can't seem to be killed.
I have a 3/8" drive fine-tooth stubby ratchet I bought from Autozone in 1999 that I absolutely can't kill. Best $5.00 I ever spent. Then there was the $3.00 brake spoon I bought there in 1997.
I stopped using my other 6 Snap-On and Craftsman brake spoons because none of them worked as well as the cheap, chrome plated, stamped steel brake spoon from Autozone.

Then, it disappeared a couple of years ago. I couldn't find one like it until I was wandering the tool aisle at O'Reilly Auto Parts.
Sweet reunion.

Anyway, I'll look at Autozone for the needed 17mm. I assume it's a hex bit socket for my ratchet. Those are generally handier than hex keys.

"Mulder, toads just fell from the sky."
"Guess their parachutes didn't open."

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2