Yamaha SR500 & SR400 Forum

GL Performance Network
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: XT250 swingarm bushes
PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:46 pm 

I've got a 1980 XT250G that I rescued from my sister's place at least 5 years ago. "Come get this bike or I'm taking it to the dump."
I recently decided to see if I could get it going.
I've thrown all sorts of parts bin rejects at it, and fixed up some dodgey wiring, and I now have a bike that runs. A few more jobs and I'll be able to go paddock bashing with my sons.
Far too much wrong/missing for this bike to ever be a show quality resto. So I'm looking to do everything on the cheap with the aim to be safe and reliable, but not particularly pretty or original. e.g. the clutch perch from my parts pile works but, based on where I got it from, I have a sneaking suspicion it's a Ducati piece.
Front brake shoes fell to bits. New ones are high quality chinese knock-offs coming by camel caravan over the Silk Road. They swear they don't have asbestos in them. :roll: I'd be more concerened about the asbestos except I've been toying with original brakes on 1970's motorcycles, so I reckon I've already been exposed. A lot.
Front wheel bearing seal is coming from China, too, but I lashed out on decent Japanese bearings. You can take this economy thing just a smidgeon too far.

Front tyre is going to be the D606 Dunlop I deemed too worn to leave on my DR650. Rear tyre is a 17 inch trail wing. When it's knackered, there is a used spare off my DR650 that will fit.
Chain and sprockets have certainly increased in price since last I bought some. It's looking very much like I'll be ordering a set from the US to keep costs down.

The swing arm bushes are a mess and look pretty expensive to replace.
It just so happens that my dear old Mum has a goodly collection of bronze bushes and a lovely set of reamers.
Has anyone ever measured the Yamaha bushes?
I'd like to measure up to see if any of the bushes in Mum's collection will fit. As long as the O.D. is right, I will be able to ream the I.D. to fir the spacers on the pivot bolt.
Don't worry, I'm not a total freeloader, I always make the 'ol girl a mutually acceptable cash offer for any of the goodies I dig out of her shed.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]