Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » XT500 Section » XT500 Technical Discussion

Post subject: Getting a TT500 on the road
 Post Posted: Tue May 15, 2012 4:46 pm 

Hi
I am looking to get my '77 TT500 legal on the road in the UK, any tips?

There seems to be a few key issues to resolve - needs lights, horn and speedo. Should I go for a new XT wiring loom and go from there? Is a digi speedo the best option - if so what brand?

Meanwhile it needs a front sprocket cover - the original sems to have been sheared off so there seems to be only one bolt hole avaialble - where can I get the cover - and how can I fix it?

Am I likely to get it brake well enough for the road using the standard front drum?

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Getting a TT500 on the road
 Post Posted: Tue May 15, 2012 5:33 pm 
Esteemed SR Elder

Lights;

As standard, the TT500's do have a lighting coil, but it has a fairly limited output. An XT500 lignting coil can be mounted to the TT stator plate (they are the same part as the XT stator plate) or a complete XT stator plate assy fitted and use the TT flywheel. This will allow the the XT500 wiring loom/system to be a direct fit.

Speedo;

In the period a accessory speedo kit was available for the TT500's from Yamaha. The front hub on the TT500's are exactly the same as those used on the Yamaha IT series enduro bike, and as such, the IT speedo drive unit can be fitted to the RH side of the front wheel, allowing an IT speedo to be used, which is pretty much what the accessory kit was. I know that replica speedo brackets etc are available from KEDO and their agents in the UK.

Alternativly, you could fit a XT500 front wheel, which would give you both a speedo drive and also a slightly better front brake.

Also in regards to front brakes, the late 70's / early 80's YZ twin leading shoe brakes are the same size as the TT500 front brake, and will fit into the TT500 hub. There may be some issues with the brake plate securing lug though as the YZ all used leading axle front forks where the TT500 has straight axle forks.

The TT/XT (and possibly the SR) 500 countershft sprocket covers are still available from Yamaha. I have had several engines where the mounting lugs have been broken from the crankcases and have fixed the problem by welding small aluminium boses onthe crankcases as replacements then drilling and tapping them to 6mm to suit.

There are several seller selling XT/TT parts (mainly KEDO gear) on EBay in the UK. I have used them along with some of the NOS sellers in the US and allways had good service.
CJ

Post Posted: Wed May 16, 2012 6:24 am 
Esteemed SR Elder

I've seen new reproduction XT/TT sprocket covers on ebay.uk, probably Yambits or Yuniparts?

How about a daylight only MOT, you only need a speedo, brake light (with reflector) and horn, they could be run from a total loss battery without need for a charging system?

max

Post Posted: Wed May 16, 2012 8:39 am 

hi, i run a daytime mot on a tt500, i just use a battery bicycle horn, you can use a small gps for speedo.

Post Posted: Wed May 16, 2012 5:34 pm 

Thanks for some really useful advice - I'm intrigued to know how the IT series speedo drive fits to the right side of the wheel but it sounds like a good way to go - I'll start looking for the kit / IT spare.
The XT wheel method is OK - but my front whel is in very good condition so not sure if this is realy cost effective - it probably depends on how much better the braking would be.
The sprocket cover seems to be available so I'll start hunting that down and resolve the sheared lugs by a spot of welding.
I've never heard of a daytime MOT - food for thought, and a cheap solution!
Is it right that the whole front fork assembly from a YZ400 fits straight onto a TT - a bit radical I know but I've just been wondering if this will give me improved front suspension, brakes and a speedo all in one - and maybe a perfect road/trail combination?

Post Posted: Wed May 16, 2012 7:24 pm 

The YZ400 will fit the TT500 frame. It will work better with All Balls taper bearing conversion kit rather than the ball and cone bearings the TT came with. Another worthwhile update to the suspension is Race Tech cartridge emulators for the forks. For the fitment of the speedo drive there is a small rectangular rib on the bottom of the right fork leg to keep the drive from trying to spin with the wheel. I am not sure if the YZ forks are setup like that or if was only the forklegs for the IT250/400

Post Posted: Thu May 17, 2012 12:03 am 
Esteemed SR Elder

The major problem with fitting any of the leading axle front fork assemblies from the YZ/IT series to the early XT/TT500's is that the forks/top triple clamp will hit the tank on full lock. You could modify the steering stops to give less lock and there by stop the forks from hitting the tank, but I find at times that there is not enough steering lock in standard form when thing get tight in the dirt. Of course it you are only riding on the road there would still be plenty of steering lock.

CJ

Post Posted: Thu May 17, 2012 11:16 am 

i have ridden a tt with this front end, its a great improvement, i cant remember but i think the tank was set back slightly on brackets to get the clearance.

Post Posted: Thu May 17, 2012 6:17 pm 

Great feedback - thanks

Post Posted: Thu May 17, 2012 8:52 pm 

In 1979 the TT500 came with leading axle forks. The fuel tank and seat were moved back to clear the steering stops. I put a set of IT400 forks on mine, perfect replacement for the rusted tubes I got it with

Board index » XT500 Section » XT500 Technical Discussion