Yamaha SR500 & SR400 Forum

GL Performance Network
It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 271 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 28  Next
 Post subject: Teledan's XT500 project
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:54 pm 
Esteemed SR Elder

I decided I better start a build thread since I have been working on my bike a bit lately. I got this 81 XT500 from a guy in Idaho who said it was an old forest service bike. I imagine it has been ridden pretty hard and she's not real pretty (anyone have suggestions on getting the dents out of the tanks??) but my plan is to build a little hot rod out of her. I have been collecting parts for it and will be focusing on making her fast first and then work on making her more pleasing to the eyes. Here is how she looked when I brought her home:

I just installed a VM36 carb last weekend with a K&N filter and a motion pro throttle. I was very surprised that she started right up after throwing the new carb on without making any adjustments! She idles very well but I need a new clutch cable before I can ride it. Also, last night I started working on the exhaust. I got a Hoos header and megaphone and got the header mounted with a tab underneath the frame:

I am trying to decide how to do a bend just before the megaphone so that it sweeps up, I don't really want it going straight back. Any Thoughts on that??

Also, I am going to be using fork tubes from an XS750 in the stock XT trees so that I can have a disc up front (I got a pair off ebay for $10!). I will probably use the mag wheel from the xs750 until I can find a good deal on a wire wheel. Or I may end up keeping the mag up front and using an SR mag on the rear, I don't know yet. I am a poor college student so my budget isn't huge :) I also have a Wiseco 10:1 piston that I will be putting in this winter. I am going to try to make my own seat/tail section out of steel unless I can find a screaming deal on a Knight seat/tail. I got a cheap set of superbike bars from Amazon and I will use a small bar-end mirror. I will also be converting the lighting to 12v and use a battery eliminator. I have a lot of ideas floating through my head but I am in school and work full-time and have a 2yr old son so I don't have a whole lot of time to work on it but I hope to get a lot done this winter. I hope to end up with a fast, light bike to cruise around town on and to take up in the canyons. Let me know what you think!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:38 pm 

That's a really solid bike! How are you going to convert to 12 volt system? I'm also interested in how you fix dent in the tanks. I heard of dealerships bringing in people to do paintless dent repairs on cars so why couldn't that same technique work on the aluminum tanks?

Robert

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:53 pm 
Esteemed SR Elder

Thanks! I am going to do the same thing as outlined here:

http://yamahaclub.com/forums/topic/2594 ... onversion/

I am using a 12v regulator/rectifier and then just swap out the bulbs! Rex's Speed Shop actually just started selling a kit to do it here:

http://www.rexs-speedshop.com/epages/es ... cts/12VC-1

I am going to try to use the stock flasher because I am going to be running LED signals. I don't know if it will work but if it doesn't I will just buy a new flasher. I had an old Harley headlight that takes an H4 bulb and it fits perfectly in the stock XT bucket. Its gonna make finding bulbs really easy now!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:48 pm 
Esteemed SR Elder

I got a new clutch cable and rode the bike a bit with the new carb (stock exhaust still). It is definitely running rich but what a difference! The bike idles very well and is very quick. When I really romp on it, it bogs down a bit so it will need some tweaking but I am definitely a believer in the VM36! Hopefully I will get a chance this weekend to get the exhaust at least tacked and ready for final welding!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:58 pm 
Esteemed SR Elder

Ok so I started on the 12v conversion but am running into issues. I am not too savvy with electrical stuff so any help would be much appreciated! I am doing a similar setup to Rex's Speed Shops new kits. I got a 12v regulator and am running LED signals with the stock flasher. I am also running a capacitor instead of a battery but it is 7100uf and 40v. I wired it all up and the headlight and taillight seem good but the turn signals aren't flashing an when I turn on one side, both sides light up. I am pretty dang sure I wired it correctly so I am thinking it is either my capacitor or the regulator or maybe even because I am using the stock flasher?? Any thoughts? I may just go buy a 12v battery just to rule that out but thought I'd check here first.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:44 pm 
Esteemed SR Elder

This is the conversion I am trying to do on my xt:

http://yamahaclub.com/forums/topic/2594 ... onversion/

I connected the new 12v regulator the same way. And this is the capacitor I am using:

http://www.tedss.com/2020038077

Do I need one rated at a higher voltage or higher capacitance?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:36 am 

Are you still running a stock 6v flasher? That will need to be changed as well from what I understand for the signals to work. Just looking at the kit, it is a part of what is normally supplied.

If I understand the whole swap correctly, it is as simple as hooking up a 12v voltage regulator/rectifier combo and 12v components to that? If so, I may decide to go that direction instead of hunting down 6v stuff.

Please post up links to the parts you use so it is easier to understand what you have done.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:54 am 
Esteemed SR Elder

Yes, I am using the stock 6v flasher. I assumed it would be ok because I am running LED signals but maybe I am wrong?? I bought this regulator:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/390039151778?it ... 60&vxp=mtr

It looks identical to the one in Rex's kit and the one in the DT175 thread. This is how I wired the new regulator:

In the DT175 thread the OP said he tried the stock 6v flasher but his signals (non-LED) flashed too slow. I figured since I am using LED signals I would try the stock flasher and see if they would be fast enough but they don't flash at all! The LED signals I am using have two wires, a yellow and a black. I assume the black is ground so I wired the yellow wires where the stock signals were wired to and then I ran the black wires to ground. I don't know if this matters but I am using a 12v H4 headlight bulb and a 12v bulb in the stock tail light. If the flasher is the problem, what flasher should I use with the LED Signals?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:26 pm 

teledan wrote:
Yes, I am using the stock 6v flasher. I assumed it would be ok because I am running LED signals but maybe I am wrong?? I bought this regulator:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/390039151778?it ... 60&vxp=mtr

It looks identical to the one in Rex's kit and the one in the DT175 thread. This is how I wired the new regulator:

In the DT175 thread the OP said he tried the stock 6v flasher but his signals (non-LED) flashed too slow. I figured since I am using LED signals I would try the stock flasher and see if they would be fast enough but they don't flash at all! The LED signals I am using have two wires, a yellow and a black. I assume the black is ground so I wired the yellow wires where the stock signals were wired to and then I ran the black wires to ground. I don't know if this matters but I am using a 12v H4 headlight bulb and a 12v bulb in the stock tail light. If the flasher is the problem, what flasher should I use with the LED Signals?

I would definitely use a 12v flasher. I'm sure a standard flasher used by an sr500 would do the trick, but not 100% on that as it's usually the first thing I remove from a bike. Black is usually the ground though, so I don't think it is wired incorrectly.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:04 pm 
Esteemed SR Elder

Cool thanks. I just went ahead and ordered a flasher, it should be here in a couple days and I'll give it a shot!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 271 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 28  Next