Yamaha SR500 & SR400 Forum

GL Performance Network
It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 248 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 25  Next

Clubman bars or Clipons
Clipon bars 68%  68%  [ 61 ]
Clubman bars 32%  32%  [ 29 ]
Total votes : 90
 Post subject: Cafe 500E project.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:53 pm 
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

Hi all, started about three months ago, bike was in good condition when I got her. I only have put about 2600 miles in the local hills. Always wanted a SR after a friend of mine bought one new in 1978 and then modified it for the road tracks. In it's day a HOT machine for a single racer.. So I found her and have decided to try my own racer.
Most of the fairing work, I and my friend will fabricate, full fairing and belly catch.
I have a small LED brake light coming, the one on now is a bit to large, I did get 2 LED
fog lights for the headlights, about 1.4 pounds verses factory headlight and gauges.
Work very well. The batt I just made an 8 cell AA pack for 12 volts, works fine.
Not sure what bars I want, clips or clubs, how do they feel on SR's, like the look of both.
Will bring more updates and pics soon. Thanks jackjr58..

OK, update got the Clips, I picked AirTech out of California, I like the fit, still have to route some minor items. SS lines for front brakes next.

2 months after I found her. All original 1650 miles.
http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/1107317

2 years after, never have been fond of red went to pearl white.
http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/2269676

Attachments:
P1220044.JPG
P1220044.JPG [ 1.04 MiB | Viewed 3020 times ]
File comment: Right side.
feb14b.JPG
feb14b.JPG [ 1.04 MiB | Viewed 3264 times ]
File comment: Left side,
feb13.JPG
feb13.JPG [ 1.03 MiB | Viewed 3264 times ]

Last edited by jackjr58 on Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Cafe 500E project.
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:35 pm 

Sweet looking bike ! Looks like a great starting point with a good carb too.

With rearsets I'd vote for clipons.

What's that exhaust and header?
How's the low rpm torque with that thing?

http://www.ebay.de/sch/sr79mjl/m.html?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:50 pm 
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

My plan is to set the bike, frame and susp, first. Then work my way through fairing, this next winter finish with engine and exhaust. I have cheapo setup on the exhaust, the throttle response has a minor burp nothing to even consider at this time. Low end is great, when she gets hot minor ping but I resolved problem with 1/3 of a tank of Av 100LL, clears out the ping on hot day. Plug indication showing a bit rich w/av gas. I have a used bike parts dealer in my town that is loaded
with 70's and 80's Japanese parts. Good pricing these days. The engine upgrade will just be high comp
piston and head/w lifter mods. Not looking for full blown race motor at this time.
Bike only had 1600 orig miles, stored in a Arizona garage for 28 years under a tarp. Ser# 1107
the orig owner dropped the bike on the left side, broke the the tail peace, left sig, and his pride,
heard he never rode it again. The fellow that sold her to me could not get her to run so $350.00
dollars cash and she was mine, replaced coil and I was riding.. I put 06 GSXR rear sets on, like
the foot position and the width of the pegs for me just right. Rear master from same. Have a
fork dampner to attach, getting a Derale oil cooler, have a source for custom SS braided lines
good pricing. I have a long way to go but thats the fun of it.
Have to leave, will keep updates coming thanks for input...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:29 pm 
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

I have removed the front inst and light cluster, close to 7 lbs. I found these fog LED lights, you can see the basic mounting. I did make the rt bracket a bit lower for traffic, lft side normal position, these lights work fine very bright and light compared to oem. The two only pull 2.8 amps 12 volt. I put these on just to keep the police at bay. Pulled the bars off for the clips, will have to figure out what to buy. lots to choose from.....

What she looks like with covers on, I will use them for the street. I like the location of the clips, the major poll was for clips, thanks guys I was leaning
that direction, just helped me decide....

Ok got the G Hoos header 1.75 dia, prepped the header and shot 6 coats VHT paint,
the header I chose the drop down, for the fairing. The left side header nut a bit of a pain to tighten not much clearance.. Not sure yet what muff I want yet.
Getting closer....

Attachments:
Ghoos HD.JPG
Ghoos HD.JPG [ 1.03 MiB | Viewed 2983 times ]
P1220007.JPG
P1220007.JPG [ 1.03 MiB | Viewed 3018 times ]

Last edited by jackjr58 on Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:01 pm, edited 6 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:13 pm 
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

People have asked me why chop such a nice machine, I have driven, flown, and rode for fourty
plus years on the road, on all kinds of transportation. First it was almost brand new when I got it, I have always been a hotdog on bikes, now older and wiser, this bike for my style and my experience is perfect, cant keep up on the main hwys with big bikes, but when we get to the corners they cant keep up. I raced in the 250cc moto class back in the 70's, then I jumped to the 500cc fourstk
class in enduro riding. Then rode 550, 750, 1000, 1200cc bikes for the next twenty plus years.
The SR is perfect, dirt style handling and street. If I wanted HIGH speed
I will just jump into a plane and fly 50 ft off the ground. I used to fly for a man in Vancouver
Washington, USA. Wally Olson. he built the whole airport by himself, he did have a crane come
in and place the roof frames. "Aint tall enough reach" he said. This man has flown just about every plane built, 100.000 + hours flight time, on one occasion stated to me that "real flying is not in the jets or prop planes with high speed" "it is in the low and slow, feel the air and plane, and enjoy the view. Thats the main reasons. Thanks ......

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:46 am 
Global Mod
Global Mod

Sounds OK to me...heh, heh...and flying is a lot better at lower speeds.

Aeros are OK of course... ;)

SR :D

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:51 pm 
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

jackjr58 wrote:
Hi all, started about three months ago, bike was in good condition when I got her. I only have put about 2600 miles in the local hills. Always wanted a SR after a friend of mine bought one new in 1978 and then modified it for the road tracks. In it's day a HOT machine for a single racer.. So I found her and have decided to try my own racer.
Most of the fairing work, I and my friend will fabricate, full fairing and belly catch.
I have a small LED brake light coming, the one on now is a bit to large, I did get 2 LED
fog lights for the headlights, about 1.4 pounds verses factory headlight and gauges.
Work very well. The batt I just made an 8 cell AA pack for 12 volts, works fine.
Not sure what bars I want, clips or clubs, how do they feel on SR's, like the look of both.
Will bring more updates and pics soon. Thanks jackjr58..

I have LED brake light on now, attached to bottom of seat leaves plenty of wheel travel. Not sure what they call this type of brake light. Light scrolls
left and right when brake is activated.

Upadate: 01/5/2014 The LED tail light work fine during the time I had it on, I would
suggest not using it on a rough road or dirt usage, it is a bit delicate, so the quality of this product would be a 10 if good materials were used.

Attachments:
LED brake on flash.JPG
LED brake on flash.JPG [ 1.03 MiB | Viewed 3072 times ]
File comment: Running light on no flash from camera.
LED brake on dark.JPG
LED brake on dark.JPG [ 1.05 MiB | Viewed 3072 times ]

Last edited by jackjr58 on Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:38 pm 
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

Ok it's not raining and the GHOOS header is on wrapped painted, cheapo muff.
Just got her started, muff eh ok, did run it up to third gear full tht pulled just fine,
going to run with new plug and see, no backfires, did not stall, idle perfect, I have to chk the jetting ##'s and see whats in there, shocked me got her good and warm still
ran better that stock... I am going to buy the Cone inc. muffler, have heard all good.
I have chosen to build a cafe seat for the track, will put the batt eliminator under the seat,
the fac seat I will leave for the street..
Looking forward to the last couple of details to get on the street and do a bit of hot dogging.

Attachments:
runiing (3).JPG
runiing (3).JPG [ 1.03 MiB | Viewed 2979 times ]
runiing.JPG
runiing.JPG [ 1.04 MiB | Viewed 2979 times ]

Last edited by jackjr58 on Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:49 am 
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

jackjr58 wrote:
Ok it's not raining and the GHOOS header is on wrapped painted, cheapo muff.
Just got her started, muff eh ok, did run it up to third gear full tht pulled just fine,
going to run with new plug and see, no backfires, did not stall, idle perfect, I have to chk the jetting ##'s and see whats in there, shocked me got her good and warm still
ran better that stock... I am going to buy the Cone inc. muffler, have heard all good.
I have chosen to build a cafe seat for the track, will put the batt eliminator under the seat,
the fac seat I will leave for the street..
Looking forward to the last couple of details to get on the street and do a bit of hot dogging.

Update: Took her out for a short ride, that was fun, new riding position WT, ect. Muffler
is going away this weekend. Ordering the "Cone" muffler. 12in SS 85$ heard good info on this brand, calling bright and early it's got to GO !! The center cone standing on end.

http://www.coneeng.com/motorcycle_components.html[url][/url]

Ok got the "Cone" sounds great, perfect fit, I am happy with this product, deep throaty sound, put a link in the video section, so you can hear it.....

Attachments:
motorcycle_components_clip_image008.jpg
motorcycle_components_clip_image008.jpg [ 50.9 KiB | Viewed 2896 times ]

Last edited by jackjr58 on Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:35 pm 
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

Update: Started the cafe seat, you can see how I began. The rear part of the seat I made a little larger than common, for numbering. How does it look so far?? Will be putting batt eliminator inside the number case..

Have mounted the lic plate under the seat good fit!!!!

Have ordered the "cone" muffler should be here in a few days.

Have also started SS replacement of all bolts/nuts/washers. Did most of the front end, local hardware only had four of the bolts for the disks, handbrake/throttle/fork bolts/ fender bolts/ etc. Came to 32$. the disk bolts will be around 30$. I will be using hex bolts for the disk's, am going to drill and wire tie. If anyone is looking for SS wire tie, just stop by your local small airport and check with the shop they can either sell or tell you where, I get mine for around 13$ 200ft.

Attachments:
race seat (12).JPG
race seat (12).JPG [ 1.03 MiB | Viewed 2858 times ]
race seat (11).JPG
race seat (11).JPG [ 1.03 MiB | Viewed 2858 times ]
race seat (8).JPG
race seat (8).JPG [ 1.04 MiB | Viewed 2858 times ]
race seat (4).JPG
race seat (4).JPG [ 1.02 MiB | Viewed 2858 times ]
race seat.JPG
race seat.JPG [ 1.03 MiB | Viewed 2858 times ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 248 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 25  Next