Yamaha SR500 & SR400 Forum

GL Performance Network
It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:07 pm 
Esteemed SR Elder

Even after they sat unsold here for a few years the dealers wouldnt come down far enough on price to get me to sign. I would have really like to have one, too, but not for what seemed a premium price at that time (dont remember what the best price I got was, just that it was more than I could justify). But now it almost seems like it would have been a bargain, just like the Kaw W650 I passed on. Wouldnt those two in my stable look nice now!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:30 pm 
Esteemed SR Elder

Good luck! It will be an interesting project to watch…make sure your partner takes some photos of his work, too.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:46 pm 

Nice. One of my riding buddies has a 400TT that has had an NX650 lump transplanted into it. Helluva difficult to keep him in sight, never mind keep up on twisty roads.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:20 am 
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

rdguy wrote:
My 996S won't even let you put the side stand down in neutral. Makes warming the bike up a sit on the bike procedure.
RD Bob.

That would change my entire routine. I put on my jacket, helmet & gloves while the bike is warming-up.

MisterD wrote:
Nice. One of my riding buddies has a 400TT that has had an NX650 lump transplanted into it. Helluva difficult to keep him in sight, never mind keep up on twisty roads.
My partner in crime has an extra XR600 engine, but this one runs so good that we're sticking with the 500. The guy is a Honda freak.

duke b wrote:
Good luck! It will be an interesting project to watch…make sure your partner takes some photos of his work, too.

Thanks Duke. Will do on the photos.

gcrank1 wrote:
Even after they sat unsold here for a few years the dealers wouldnt come down far enough on price to get me to sign. I would have really like to have one, too, but not for what seemed a premium price at that time (dont remember what the best price I got was, just that it was more than I could justify). But now it almost seems like it would have been a bargain, just like the Kaw W650 I passed on. Wouldnt those two in my stable look nice now!

My son-in-law has a cream puff W650. Like you. I've always admired those 2 bikes. In '06 my shooting buddy & I were en route to Camp Perry for the Nationals and stopped for gas. Inside was a magazine rack & I bought a Walnecks mag. It was my turn not to drive & thumbing through that Walnecks was an add for a '89 GB500 "in the crate" for $7,200.00. I thought that was high then, but now it would be a steal. I should of......but back then my priority was shooting.

G man, from the above you can see that I feel your pain. :|

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:00 am 
Esteemed SR Elder

A bunch of us had Buell M2 Cyclones and one if the guys had the first 100ci S&S engine sold to the public serial# 002(001 was the factory test mule), and when left on the side stand warming up, it would walk it's way backwards till it hit something. He managed to chafe the tail piece up pretty good on the front window frame @ the bike shop once.
RD Bob.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:12 pm 
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

rdguy wrote:
A bunch of us had Buell M2 Cyclones and one if the guys had the first 100ci S&S engine sold to the public serial# 002(001 was the factory test mule), and when left on the side stand warming up, it would walk it's way backwards till it hit something. He managed to chafe the tail piece up pretty good on the front window frame @ the bike shop once.
RD Bob.

Good story. It's a blessing that the Buell's preferred "vibration travel" was to the rear. If it preferred forward travel, the stand may have retracted & spoiled the paint job.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:15 pm 
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

With some trepidation I started the disassembly yesterday. I was careful to photo the different assemblies before and after removal .......I figure I'll rely on them heavily @ reassembly time. My partner in crime tells me today that he has a factory service manual on the way........I'll need it.
Here are some photos.
Attachment:
File comment: How do you like that center stand?
MVC-014S.JPG
MVC-014S.JPG [ 48.33 KiB | Viewed 460 times ]

Attachment:
MVC-015S.JPG
MVC-015S.JPG [ 44.45 KiB | Viewed 460 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Rear hub is similar to the SR
MVC-016S.JPG
MVC-016S.JPG [ 35.71 KiB | Viewed 460 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Dampers in place. They look Ok, but Bobby has new ones ordered
MVC-017S.JPG
MVC-017S.JPG [ 39.85 KiB | Viewed 460 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Neat chain guide/guard on S/A. Note it wraps around & covers the bottom also
MVC-018S.JPG
MVC-018S.JPG [ 38.07 KiB | Viewed 460 times ]

Last edited by oldhenry on Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:26 pm 
Esteemed SR Elder

Sweet little roller stand, Henry ;)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:32 pm 
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

Attachment:
File comment: Another view of the chain guide/guard
MVC-019S.JPG
MVC-019S.JPG [ 28.4 KiB | Viewed 458 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: I'm starting a collection of GB parts
MVC-020S.JPG
MVC-020S.JPG [ 30.71 KiB | Viewed 458 times ]

I hope to get the front wheel & fork tubes removed tomorrow. I may have time to get them to a local guy that will remove the tire for me......he's reasonable.
I packaged parts from different assemblies separately & labeled them. I even re-assembled the hardware in the proper sequence before packaging. I do this because I tend to get hung up on details.
We decided to powder coat the hubs (no argument from me.....no polishing!). I will try to polish the rear brake backing plate......I like a little contrast. This bike originally lived in Florida and the salt air has taken a toll. The engine will need to come out for me to make it look decent. I'll evaluate the finish on the frame after I get the engine out & do some cleanup.
That's about it for tonight.
Henry
................................................................................................................................................................................................
Gun control is about being able to hit your target

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:21 pm 
Esteemed SR Elder

I agree; the dolly center-stand is a great idea. I'll be copying that. And I'm with you on the benefits of copious photos: I currently have nearly 1.5k photos in my SR folder—all of my own bike parts/assemblies—and they have saved me much grief. (Yet there are still times I kick myself for not having one at a certain angle, etc..)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next