Yamaha SR500 & SR400 Forum

GL Performance Network
It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:54 pm 
Esteemed SR Elder

kiwi sr wrote:
a bike shop over here in NZ had one of these with a sidecar as the workshop hack! think it had car tyres from memory(or is that forgetery). Seemed to go really well but I always wondered about slotting a TS400 in.

Don't worry, my young brother has a ratty TS400 that has been in the shed at my mum's place for a long time. I was eyeing it of earlier this month had having thoughts of what an interesting" ride it would be if I slotted the 400 engine into the spare RV frame. Certainly would have a bit more go than the 10hp of the std 125 engine.

The new tires arrived from the US yesterday, which is a lot quicker than the XT250 manual that I bought on EBay from NZ on the same day which still hasn't arrived, but I suppose NZ Post have to wait for the DeLorean so that they can send it 15 years into the future, and if we beat the All Blacks and win the RWC, I will probably never see it. :lol:

CJ

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:59 am 
Global Mod
Global Mod

TM400 motor would be more 'interesting' Col...keep your concentration going... :lol:

SR :)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:24 am 
Esteemed SR Elder

I spent a bit of time during the past week re-organising my shed / workshop as I build another bike work table/bench, making it 4 in total.

The RV125 has progressed onto one of the benches with the YB100 on my main work bench. The frame on the bench in the foreground is a 1987 XT250T (DOHC model). I was give this bike, which was in a sad and sorry state at the start of the year, and it has been stripped down to have all the suspension forks and rear linkages refurbished, and the engine given a quick topend job (new piston, rings and camchain). The plan is to get back into Reliability Trials next year on something a bit lighter and easier to ride than the old XT500 that I was riding a few years back before I broke my leg in the 2012 APC rally.

I will post a few pictures of the XT and the RV as things progress.

CJ

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:15 pm 
Global Mod
Global Mod

Getting somewhat 'busy' Col. Get that YB going!

Here's a tank I picked up in a swap on Sunday... :D

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1314&start=150

SR :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:03 pm 

[quote="stewross"]Getting somewhat 'busy' Col. Get that YB going!

Yea ..stay focused Colinjay :D
A busy looking shop for sure.
The DOHC 250 is a pretty rare machine here,only sold in 1984 then from 1985-2001 it was a 350
Does yours have the 17 inch rear wheel?.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:27 am 
Esteemed SR Elder

Typical, I have been on annual leave for the past 2 weeks, unfortunately almost nothing achieved in the way of progress on the shed full of projects as I HAD to go to a family wedding in Melbourne last weekend.

Luckily we drove over to Melbourne, which means that it wasn't a total loss as I was able to sneak the spare head and cylinder for the RV125 into the back of the Captiva. I paid Greg (Woody's Hydroblast) a visit on the Thursday after I got into Melbourne and he had the bits Hydroblasted and ready for me to collect on the next afternoon.

Another excellent job by Greg, and you can't beat the level of customer service.

I also managed to stop off and see Tony Hepburn in Broken Hill on the way back home and pick up a few other parts for the RV and for one of the many 500 Yamaha projects that are lurking in the shed.

The wife is working a night shift tonight, so I will have to spent tomorrow out in the shed so I don't disturb her sleep. Hopefully I will get the XT250 rolling chassis finished, put the new plate steel top on my new bench, start stripping the RV125 for plating and powder coating and possibly make some progress on the YB100.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:22 am 
Esteemed SR Elder

I have the XT250 chassis back together, with all the suspension, steering, brakes etc overhauled. I just need to reassemble the engine once all the required parts (piston, rings, camchain and new intake manifolds) arrive.

I didn't get as far with my new build bench. I picked up the two pieces of 8mm steel plate for the top or the bench. They were a bit of a struggle to move as they weigh over 30kg each (each section is 1800 x 600mm).

I am not sure if I have gone a bit overboard with the size of this bench! I might have to build a bigger bike! :D

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:48 am 

I was thinking you built that bench for that SL125 chopper :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:01 am 
Global Mod
Global Mod

So let me get this straight Col...you went to Melbourne from Clare then came back via Broken Hill!

Nice direct route... :lol:

SR ;)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:46 am 
Esteemed SR Elder

stewross wrote:
So let me get this straight Col...you went to Melbourne from Clare then came back via Broken Hill!

Nice direct route... :lol:

SR ;)

I took the opportunity to visit my mum, who still lives in the Hill, she will be turning 85 in 2 weeks time. Well truth be known, the wife said we were going to visit my mum in BH on the way home!

Anyway, it only added an extra 4 hours driving time. It took 10 hours to drive to Melbourne, via Adelaide to drop the cat and 2 dogs in "Pet Prison. The most direct route home to Clare is about 9 hours driving time, which is the same amount of time it took to drive to the Hill.

bmonk wrote:
I was thinking you built that bench for that SL125 chopper :lol:

No, not for the SL, the bench is 3.6m long, and was made that long for a future project that I hope to start late next year.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next