Yamaha SR500 & SR400 Forum

GL Performance Network
It is currently Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:16 am 
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

I love that rear hoop & appreciate that you did not compromise, but persevered to get the result that you wanted. Interesting technique.
Henry

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:11 pm 

oldhenry wrote:
I love that rear hoop & appreciate that you did not compromise, but persevered to get the result that you wanted. Interesting technique.
Henry

Thanks Henry, I know rear hoops are not everyones preference, but I find they really clear the rear end up.
Nothing else came to mind how to get the bend, there I'll take that as a compliment. Luckily I won't need to do another one as this one nearly did my head in, especially the infills to get rectangular subframe to round, which I failed to add to the previous post.

There was way too much angst for any photos.

For these sections, I cut a wedge of pipe from offcuts of the hoop tube. These sections were approximately 60mm long. They were then opened up so that the interal diameter of the wedge was the outside diameter of the hoop tube. With a bit of minor trimming of the wedges to get the look right all it needed was to be welded in with some minor fill welds, and a hit with the grinder.

Lessons learnt: fit the hoop, weld, and grind, do everything you need to get the pipe dressed in before you attach the blinker brackets as they just get in the way and make the whole job harder.

Ed

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:50 pm 

Edward, Glad to see you back on the bike again. You had been silent for quite a while. Thought that you may have got another job which was interfering with your bike time. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:10 pm 
Esteemed SR Elder

Those wheels look incredible!!! I love the factory look of these wheels on the SR; good to stick with it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:17 am 

Hey Edward,
What is that with the 3 Phillips haed screws on the back of you sprocket carrier ?
I'm assuming that you had your hydra blasting done by Dave Mac ?
I've had my cast wheels hydra blasted & really like the look of the up market "bling" look.
Would love to come up shortly & see the progress.
Cheers
don

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:17 am 

Don_in_Sydney wrote:
Hey Edward,
What is that with the 3 Phillips haed screws on the back of you sprocket carrier ?
I'm assuming that you had your hydra blasting done by Dave Mac ?
I've had my cast wheels hydra blasted & really like the look of the up market "bling" look.
Would love to come up shortly & see the progress.
Cheers
don

Don,
I upgraded the cush drive to take two bearings, and the grub screws hold the spacer in the hub. It is very similar to this
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=810

Good to hear you've started getting your hands dirty. Dave Mac did all the recent blasting, as he double blasts it to get the extra shine :D. On the wheels I nearly went for the clean finish, but I felt it would be way too much bright ally therefore the black paint to give that original look. Surprisingly Dave Mac thought the same thing after he blasted them.

The blasted rims come up a treat. If I went for the black fork leg, I would have left them clean.

Keep your eye out here Don, the best time to come up might be when the frame is back. If all goes to plan I will get it blasted next week and then painted, hopefully have it finished and back this time next week. I will post a pic when it back. Then you can see everything before it starts going back together.

Ed

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:19 am 

Edward,
Look forward to catching up & seeing your progress.
Interested to swap stories on hydra blasting.
Will also be very interested to see your new paint job.
Cheers
don

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:39 am 

Lately it's been happy days.
After a trial fit of the motor and FCR39 to ensure no minor frame mods would be required. 5 mins of grunting and it's in. She's a tight fit, but nothing needs "massaging". The engine was easier getting out than it was going back in.
Attachment:
File comment: Trial fit, with about 7mm clearance
IMAG0482.jpg
IMAG0482.jpg [ 1.21 MiB | Viewed 1485 times ]

I dropped the frame off to get soda blasted, prime and 2 pack. This should be a Darwin awards submission. 45min drive to drop the frame and swing arm off. Unloading the frame, and one guess where the swing arm is? Yup, not in the car, it's at home on the floor still waiting to go in the car. Anyway, two days later I'm back in the car, this time with swing arm in toe.
The blaster had already blasted and primed the frame.
Attachment:
IMAG0486.jpg
IMAG0486.jpg [ 1.04 MiB | Viewed 1485 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Blasted and primed
IMAG0485.jpg
IMAG0485.jpg [ 993.61 KiB | Viewed 1485 times ]

By the end of the week, another road trip and...all done in a nice coat of satin black.
Attachment:
File comment: Satin black 2 pack
IMAG0503.jpg
IMAG0503.jpg [ 2.82 MiB | Viewed 1485 times ]
Attachment:
IMAG0504.jpg
IMAG0504.jpg [ 2.46 MiB | Viewed 1485 times ]

Now I'm getting excited.
Ed

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:54 am 

Dropping the frame in to be done got the blood flowing and the urge to tackle the tank. After a generous coating of stripper and scotchbrite dosed in thinners, i ended up with a tank with more damage than I originally thought. At least it's all repairable.
Attachment:
IMAG0492.jpg
IMAG0492.jpg [ 2.26 MiB | Viewed 1483 times ]
Attachment:
IMAG0491.jpg
IMAG0491.jpg [ 2.3 MiB | Viewed 1483 times ]

First move was to fill the larger dents and low spots with filler.
Attachment:
File comment: Tank dents roughed in
PhotoGrid_1442388737730.jpg
PhotoGrid_1442388737730.jpg [ 285.9 KiB | Viewed 1483 times ]

This was then shaped and sanded smooth, which was more time intensive than I had anticipated.
Since I want it as smooth as a babies bum, a skim coat of glazing putty, lots of hand sanding with 180 grit, and many hours of being intimate with the tank to make sure that it feels smooth and there are no bumps, humps or rounds where they shouldn't be.
After a couple of little additional fills a d some more sanding, the end result was smooth as.
Attachment:
File comment: Glazing putty skim coats
PhotoGrid_1442388912716.jpg
PhotoGrid_1442388912716.jpg [ 350.1 KiB | Viewed 1483 times ]

The 4 coats of primer filler and I'm ready for wet sanding after curing
Attachment:
File comment: All primed and ready to wet sand
PhotoGrid_1442388994662.jpg
PhotoGrid_1442388994662.jpg [ 242.23 KiB | Viewed 1483 times ]

The next step will be a guide coat.

Ed

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:10 am 

It has been a good week so far.
I have picked up the wheels after getting some rubber put on them. Very soon I might have a rolling chassi.
Attachment:
File comment: Speed Demons
IMAG0506.jpg
IMAG0506.jpg [ 1.03 MiB | Viewed 1485 times ]

This means a few more bits to assemble, and time for the last big order of parts which includes clip-ons, headlight, speedo and tail light.

Ed

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next