Yamaha SR500 & SR400 Forum

GL Performance Network
It is currently Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 300 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:09 am 
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

Those original bulb holders were good for about 2000 miles, then the screw tab broke off. I've got 6 or 8 of them, planning to convert them to LED's some day.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:46 pm 
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

redgalvin wrote:
Those original bulb holders were good for about 2000 miles, then the screw tab broke off. I've got 6 or 8 of them, planning to convert them to LED's some day.

It was your earlier mention of the short life expectancy on the EMGO bulb/bulb holder that convinced me to attempt the LED conversion. Ron Lambert @ Lambert Enterprises convince me that the LED is far superior to bulbs when it comes to vibration. To be on the safe side The 1 1/8" clusters were not installed into the 1 1/8" wide housing without some minor Dremel work to create a small amount of clearance. This allows them to "shake" without contact with the housing. Mr. Lambert states some install with a minor amount of silicon @ the edge of the cluster board to the side of the housing. I used Marine Tex to make sure.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:06 pm 
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

The project bike has 1,481 miles on it as of this writing. After replacing the countershaft oil seal & curing a small oil leak where the return oil line connects to the engine case, the bike has no leaks.
Curious about the actual weight I rode over to the county land fill & the nice lady weighed it & even gave me evidence.
Attachment:
MVC-007S.JPG
MVC-007S.JPG [ 25.17 KiB | Viewed 1330 times ]

At the time it had 66 miles on a fuel fill-up. It averages 50-52 MPG so using 50MPG there was probably 1.8 gals in the tank when weighed. A conservative estimate of fuel weight would be at least 10 lbs.. We all want our bikes to be lighter & I thought it would be lighter than the 360lbs., but now I know.
I am completely satisfied with how it turned out. When I went to Barber it attracted some attention @ the motel where we stayed. While @ Barber I entered it in The Motorcycle Classic Magazine bike show. It didn't win any awards & seemed to attract more attention from seniors (old farts.....like me). Surprisingly several people photoed the oil cooler, tank & side cover graphics, oil temp gauge & rear fender. No attention to the front fender at all (this broke my heart).
The return trip from Barber was a steady 70mph & she was a pure joy to ride. It's running so well that I do not want to do a throttle chop.
The only thing it needs is a proper set of mirrors. At present it's wearing the mirrors from my 500E. I bought a set of the Kedo mini mirrors from Vintage Spoke (they look like the ones Motolanna sells). They are very well made and from an appearance stand point are great. The only problem is the fact that I can't see anything except my shoulders in spite of all kinds of adjustments: money wasted (but....they look good) :lol: To be fair , they would probably work fine on a different handlebar bend.
Every time I ride this baby I'm thankful for the Cone Eng. "Quieter-Core" muffler, the H4 H/lamp seal beam & the LED turn signals.
Many times it was mistaken for a 2015 SR400 in a "new color".
My other bikes are being neglected & this will probably be normal for a while......a long while.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:57 pm 
Esteemed SR Elder

Beautiful Henry, it looks factory built but with a much higher standard of fit & finish, I like it very much.

Max

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:33 pm 
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

MadMax wrote:
Beautiful Henry, it looks factory built but with a much higher standard of fit & finish, I like it very much.

Max

Thanks, Max

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:59 am 
Esteemed SR Elder

oldhenry wrote:
No attention to the front fender at all (this broke my heart).

You did too-good a job on your fenders, Henry; people tend to concentrate on what they believe to have been customized. Bring a placard with you next time: "I made these fenders." :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:18 am 
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

duke b wrote:
oldhenry wrote:
No attention to the front fender at all (this broke my heart).

You did too-good a job on your fenders, Henry; people tend to concentrate on what they believe to have been customized. Bring a placard with you next time: "I made these fenders." :lol:

A more correct placard would read: "Bedlam Werks made these fenders to my specs............the fender brackets happened after I bent/wasted several lengths of 4130CM". :roll:

Thanks, Duke

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:26 am 
Esteemed SR Elder

You probably wont get complete understanding by 'normal' people unless you put out one of those fancy, framed 'Build Displays' but I think carrying one around would be aerodynamically unfeasible :o .......Well, maybe make one up for the close events, it deserves it!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:39 pm 
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

Blake, I have sympathy for "normal people".
When I was in my 40's my mother asked: "son, when will you ever grow up"? My answer was "hopefully never".

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:42 am 
Global Mod
Global Mod

Personally I am of the opinion that you're better off having useful mirrors instead of flash little ones that you can't see anything from. Traffic won't give you any quarter in compensation... ;)

They don't need to be huge, just useful...and I have one each side.

'Course I don't follow my own advice where my little Ducati is concerned...

SR :)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 300 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30