Yamaha SR500 & SR400 Forum

GL Performance Network
It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: replacement carburetor
PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:42 am 

I have an sr500 that has been sitting, not running since 1986. I'd like to try to start it, but I'm not a fan of putting money into the original one, I'd rather purchase a replacement. What do you guys think of the mikuni VM36-4. They are pretty reasonably priced on ebay. Is it worth it to buy one that is supposedly pre-jetted for an sr500, or is that just a sales pitch? As far as i know my motor is stock. It has a K&N in the factory airbox and a supertrapp exhaust. After pouring some aft down the spark plug hole the rings have freed up and it seems to have good compression. I don't expect maximum performance, just a runner for the time being.
thanks
Pat

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:40 am 
Global Mod
Global Mod

VM34,36 and 38 can all be made to work.

Plus a number of other carbs too.

Plenty of info on here related to the mechanics of the change and also suggested jetting too.

All in all a reasonable choice all all are trouble free once set up.

SR :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:31 am 

I would, if it were me try to make it run with the current carburetor and then see what's what. Maybe you'll get lucky and not need diaphragms, just a jet and bowl clean. No point in buying much until you can assess the overall running condition. Good luck, which ever way you go. Cheers.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]